Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Is the music of today,tomorrow's generations classics?

I decided to write this blog because I heard a song on the radio,which reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend a few months ago,the song in question was Boogie Wonderland by Earth,Wind and Fire.The reason this song was brought up was because it made him feel old is because he heard it on a Golden Oldies radio station,I must admit at the time I laughed,but,is the music of today,tomorrow's generation's classics?I mean you can buy classic 60's albums so does that mean in forty years time you can buy a classic 00's CD?with bands like Kaiser Chiefs,Radiohead,the Magic Numbers all cemented in history?Or will the face of music as we know it today become something we least expected?Will I hear a song from my youth or teenage years my early adult hood and find out its considered a classic?and then what?should I stop listening to those songs and listen to new music?What makes a classic a "Classic"?why are some bands remembered forever for example the Beatles?Personally I hate them I think they where over-hyped and played it safe with the first what 5-6 albums all about love this and love that,basically drawing in gullible fans,next thing you know its forty years later and Paul McCartney is still living off the Beatles name charging a fortune for a ticket to see him sing songs that he and three other people made famous.What gave the Beatles that kind of staying power?the same with the Rolling Stones,all geriatrics and yet still rocking the place like there is no tomorrow.Is that kind of thing still possible?millions of bands are formed around the world and disband before they even get noticed for those lucky enough to get noticed do they know they will never be forever famous?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ears,

    I can relate to your friend since Boogie Wonderland came out when I too was in high school. As for the Beatles the thing with them is they helped change the face and sound of rock and roll by ushering in the British Invasion. That on top of albums such as Yellow Submarine, Sgt. Peppers, The White Album introducing different instruments and sounds to rock and roll as well as the idea of a social consiness. I do agree with you and sometimes it isn't the band that becomes famous but a song itself that becomes famous or a bands version of a song where the original performer of said song goes unnoticed and their version of song is usually the best. Like so many love Elvis I think he was just a lucky man which I can appreciate. Glad to have you back! Keep up the good work, but don't keep me waiting next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ears,

    Where did you go to? I keep looking for you. I need my fix. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey El Capitan long time no hear,a thousand apologies friend had a few things going on I almost completed my blog then scrapped it by accident I was uber pissed but its cool the replacment is gonna be better for sure and also I had a few personal problems family issues unforseen but the good news is the blog will be up asap keep looking and spread the word

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Big L,
    I've been a fan of music since I was 4. (now 47). I first remember tuning in to Baby Love by the Supremes and thinking Wow! i've been thriled by music ever since. The John Miles classic - Music (was my first love) is absolutely true. Over the decades songs that I grew up with - Sugar Sugar - Archies, Message in a Bottle - Police, Then Tomorrow Comes - Eurythmics, Creep - Radiohead, have all become classics in their own genre and right.The same will happen with the popular songs and bands of today. Your sex is on fire - kings of Leon for example. That bodes the question what is a classic? is it a song that was a hit because of sales volume or because it was in our conciousness for so long at the time or just something that reminds us of times gone past. good or bad. Who knows. but be assured that todays hits or at least the majority of then will become 'remembered for stirring memories' if not true classics. the old fucker!!!

    ReplyDelete