OK,well first I better explain,in this blog I wont be talking about any upcoming bands well that's not strictly true,i am confusing myself here.OK what I am gonna do is,I wanna talk about music that has touched us,in the sense that when you hear it you kinda stop what your doing and listen to it,you turn it up smile cry laugh whatever.We all have songs like that which affect us in a certain way you know.The reason this blog came to me was because i heard the song "He ain't heavy he's my Brother" by the Hollies,The road is long with many a winding turn that leads us to who knows where but I'm strong,strong enough to carry him he ain't heavy he's my brother,when I hear this song I personally cant help but sing and I wasn't strong enough to carry my brother,he wasn't strong enough to carry himself.Another song that has a personal deep meaning to me is a song called 4 am Forever by a welsh band called "Lostprophets",the song sticks out for two reasons one Joe actually gave me the CD,well the CD was given to me after his death but also the words of the song mean more to me than I first realised as Joe died at 4 am,the lyrics go,Yesterday I lost my closet friend,yesterday i wanted time to end I wonder if my heart will ever end I just let you slip away 4 am forever maybe I'll never see you smile again maybe you thought that it would all pretend all these words that I could never say I just let them slip away 4 am forever.Whenever i hear Cry Little Sister by Aiden,well I say Aiden the song was originally done by Gerald McMahon under the name Gerald McCann,it was used in the film the Lost Boys,Aiden's cover version being used in the follow up film.So anyway anytime I hear it I think of my sisters especially the youngest one and i don't know why the lyrics are as follows,The last fire will rise behind those eyes black house will rock blind boys don't lie immortal fear that voice so clear through broken walls that scream I hear Cry little sister(thou shall not fall)come come to your brother(thou shall not die)Unchain me sister(thou shall not fear)love it with your brother(thou shall not kill)Blue mascarade strangers look up when will they learn this loneliness temptation heat beats like a drum deep in your veins I will not lie sister.Why the hell it makes me think of my sisters I don't know but it kinda makes me sad.A song I listen to every day and I mean at least once a day i will hear this song and its called Shock horror by Scottish indie group the view.Again what it is with this song I don't actually know I mean it could be the Scottish connection or just what he sings the lyrics are Tell you the same thing that they told me are you worth your weight in gold should I practice what i preach man?Should I just do what I'm told?cause the clock keeps ticking lets hope you don't grow old,even reading the lyrics i see no reason why they seem to stick in my mind but its one of those things.Other songs that have touched me include California Dreamin a classic by the Mama's and Papa's check them out Monday Monday genius,the Boom town Rats,I don't like Mondays.Brilliant song.I suppose maybe i should apologise for this blog seeing as it actually wasn't really a blog I mean it was about music but not like about any new upcoming bands so I suppose it ain't is it?hmmm OK I got a new band well they have been around a while but i like them they are called the displacements I caught them on the Gary Crowley show they done an amazing stripped down cover of the Buzzcocks classic Ever Fallen in Love they played it superbly too,I also heard one of there own called James I'd like to apologise which was fantastic.Now leave a comment lets here the songs that have touched you songs close to your heart etc
peace readers
Monday, 9 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Okay here is a short list of music and songs some are sad some are happy and some just fun. First a song from my childhood Jan and Dean's Little Old Lady From Pasadena. It was the B side of another song can't remember which and my brother Kenny was playing it for a friend of his and I overheard. I just love the lyrics and the rythme a total fun song always makes me smile and sing along. Now two songs from my teenage years first John Denver's Sunshine On My Shoulder like all of his songs recalls a simpler time but this song makes me think of a sweet simple country girl who was a dear friend and someone I had a crush on. Everytime I hear it I think of Smokey and smile as well as cry for a simpler time and lost innocents. Then there is Elton John's Tiny Dancer a song everyone rememebers and has sang along with and because it was Elton John makes me think of Tommy Salley. Elton was Tommy's favorite singer and Tommy was the fist boy I ever feel in love with so I would spend hours at his home just talking about music, art, girls(yeah I knew then, but still hide it), and just life. He was the first love of my life. Then in college there was two songs both of which I first heard in the first gay bar I ever went to. I first heard Grace Jones' song Bullshit in the "Queer Office Disco Lounge" and I had to hear more by this incrediable woman and because of this song I say proudly now I love Grace Jones which is something I was to latter share with my first real Lover, Dennis. The second song from "QODL" is Lipps, Inc.'s song Funkytown. The first time I heard it just liked the beat and had to dance and still effects me the same way. The last song is a sad one for me it is the one song my Father wanted played at his funeral a gosspel song called Beulah Land. I still get sad and sometimes even still cry when I hear it. Dad and I had our differences, but I love him and he is part of the reason I am the man I am today with some of the beliefs I have today. Thanks Dad for everything. Believe it or not every once in a while I miss hearing that damn cowbell! I'll see you again one day I hope you are proud of me. Well, now for better or worse this is a short list of the songs that define me. Wait one last song James Morrison's You Make It Real To Me this mine and my boyfriend's song so it always makes me smile and think of him everytime I hear it. It always makes me smile. Now sir I await your toughts on my humble short list. I will always be proud to share more just ask. Peace
ReplyDeleteCaptain action thank you yet again for your support of my blog its great to discover readers songs now I must admit I dont really know any of the songs you mentioned but I have made a point of looking them out and listening to them I have heard Tiny Dancer by Elton John tho which made me think of a song that will make medance and its by an english band called The Tiny Dancers the song Hannah we Know is a catchy motherfucker you know I dont dance ok lol but this song I just cant help but shake my groove thing you know,haha I must also say you and your bf have most excellent taste in music too James Morrison is a favourite of mine both albums Undiscovered and Songs for you Truths for me are phenomenal.The only other song I cant help but dance to is Dancing in the Dark by a dance group called Mickey Modelle ft Jessy,I would love to hear more songs that define you
ReplyDelete